Wednesday, October 27, 2004

All good things have to come to an end

A while back, my employer announced their intent to close the office I work in. They are offering relocation packages to move me and my family to Boulder Colorado, and offering incentive (read $$) for us to stay at our current jobs until we complete our current tasks. Many are finding the incentives inadequate to keep them engaged, and have chosen to leave already.

This pretty much sucks. They are people that I like. No, people that I admire. Engineers that I admire. No matter where you work, when there are people leaving, we naturally question our own motivation for staying. We think, "If they are leaving for something better, am I staying for something worse?"

I know the answer to that for me. For the next several months, I am a coin-operated software mercenary, just doing it for the money. I like the product I work on. Heck, I've worked on the product from it's infantcy into it's adolescence. And I can see what it has the potential to grow into in its maturity. But I believe I'll not be there to see it. Funny, kind of like a death to me. I am no longer invested in seeing it through. So now I have to decide what to do with my life. I'll stay in my current job for a bit. Not sure how long I can hang on for $$ while all of the others a bailing out now. But when I go, I'm not sure where I'll go. I'm thinking of spending some time with my family, and some time with my airplane. And I'm also thinking I want to do some more software. Something cool.

No comments: